Pavilion of the constellation of Literature
Location: Pavilion of the Constellation of Literature is in Temple Literature on Van Mieu Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi.
Characteristic: Khue Van Cac, or Pavilion of the Constellation of Literature, was built under the Nguyen Dynasty (1802-1945).
artifacts, collected during the recent excavation drives around Van
Mieu (Temple of Literature) in Hanoi proved the architecture of this
site belongs to the Ly (1010-1225) and Tran (1225-1400) dynasties. |
of the students in olden times is reflected through these artifacts and
seemed to be simple and pure compared to that of the city dwellers. Van
Mieu - Quoc Tu Giam (National College) now preserves 82 steles engraved
with the names of 1,306 doctors who obtained the doctoral titles at 82
royal examinations, held from 1442 to 1779.
Although Van Mieu
was built long ago, some architectural complexes in this area were
erected much later. One of them was Khue Van Cac. In 1802, Gia Long took
the throne and built the capital in Hue. In 1805, the Commander of the
Northern Citadel, Nguyen Van Thanh, ordered the construction of Khue Van
Cac at Van Mieu. This project was carried out at the same time as the
erection of the surrounding walls around Van Mieu in 1833.
pavilion was a two-storey complex made of wood and bricks, which is
mirrored on the Thien Quang Well. Located in the third courtyard (from
the front gate), the pavilion's ground floor is empty with four brick
pillars of 85cm x 85cm engraved with designs of clouds. The pillars
stand on a square base, 6.8m x 6.8m, which is covered with Bat Trang
bricks. The upper floor, made of wooden frames, stands on four brick
pillars, with four round windows facing the four directions and having
rays like the sun. This floor is the symbol of the brilliant
constellation that is shining. The Oriental people consider this star as
a symbol of literature. On this floor, the balustrade is supported by
engraved wooden pieces and a gilt board with three letters of Khue Van
Cac hanging on the wall.