Zoo and Botanical Garden
Location Ho Chi Minh City Zoo and Botanical Garden is located on No.2 Nguyen Binh Khiem Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
Characteristic: Ho Chi Minh City Zoo and Botanical Gardens was founded by JB Louis Pierre, a famous French botanist.
like to call the Garden So thu. In Vietnamese it means "the zoological
park". Its official name however is the Thao Cam Vien. In Vietnamese
"Thao" means "plants and trees" and "Thu" means "animals": indicating
that the garden has both plants and animals.
of the garden started in March 1864 and it was opened in May 1865 on a
20ha area. Originally the garden was solely concerned with the growing
of some imported industrial plants such as cacao, coffee, vanilla and
rubber, as well as collecting exotic animals and birds from tropical
Vietnam for zoos in France. The press praised the garden as one of the
most beautiful parks in the Far East, second only to the Zoological and
Botanical Garden in Singapore.
from 1942 to 1954, the Japanese and French armies in turn used Thao Cam
Vien as their barracks. During these twelve years the cages were
damaged and many animals and birds died from lack of care. At this time
also, many established old trees were cut down.
Geneva Peace Agreement, the City restored the Thao Cam Vien. For the
past twenty years after the country's re-unification in 1975, the garden
has expanded its co-operation with many countries and organisations in
the world. It has joined the Southeast Asian Zoological Parks
Association, it has regular contacts with the Leipzig and Rostock zoos
in Germany, it co-operates with the World Wildlife Fund.
exchange programmes, Vietnamese can now see, for the first time, exotic
animals and birds, which they could previously only see in films or
books. The garden's staffs spend a lot of time and effort studying their
animals and plants. They also make field trips to collect new plants
Park forms a green space in the middle of the city. After the main
entrance, visitors will find themselves walking between two lines of
tall nhac ngua trees. On their left is the History Museum. On their
right is the Temple of the Kings Hung, founders of the Vietnamese
nation. In the green houses orchids, cacti and bonsai release their
fragrances and show their beautiful colours. After visiting the bird and
animal cages, the visitors can stop and relax by the lake to enjoy the
scene of lotuses, water lilies, schools of carps, anabases and pikes.
This is a real blessing in the middle of a busy urban centre.